Supplemental Funding Sources in Community Recovery


...federally recognized tribes and local communities in implementing a sustained pre-disaster mitigation program to reduce overall risk to the population and structures from future hazards and disastrous events. In doing so, such programs will also reduce reliance on federal funding in future disasters.

The total amount of funds distributed for PDM is determined once the appropriation is provided for a given fiscal year and can be used for mitigation projects and planning activities. (Source: FEMA)

Flood Mitigation Assistance (FMA)

FMA is authorized by Section 1366 of the National Flood Insurance Act of 1968 (NFIA) as amended, with the goal of reducing or eliminating claims under the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP). It was created as part of the National Flood Insurance Reform Act (NFIRA) of 1994. Note that the Biggert- Waters Flood Insurance Reform Act of 2012 consolidated the Repetitive Flood Claims and Severe Repetitive Loss grant programs into FMA.

FMA funding is available through the National Flood Insurance Fund (NFIF) for flood hazard mitigation projects as well as plan development and is appropriated by Congress. States, territories and federally recognized tribes are eligible to apply for FMA funds. Local governments are considered sub-recipients and must apply to their recipient state, territory or federally recognized tribe. (FEMA)

The National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP)

The NFIP was created through the National Flood Insurance Act of 1968 (P.L. 90-448) enabling property and business owners in participating communities to purchase insurance from the federal government against losses from flooding. It is designed to provide an insurance alternative to disaster assistance and to help meet the escalating costs of repairing damage to buildings and their contents caused by floods.

Homeowners can purchase coverage for a dwelling up to a maximum of $200,000 and for contents up to $100,000. Commercial properties, which include most government facilities, can be insured for up to $500,000 on the building and $500,000 on contents. (Source: FEMA)

Other Funding Sources


Federal Crop Insurance

According to the USDA’s Risk Management Agency, “The Federal Crop Insurance Corporation (FCIC) promotes the economic stability of agriculture through a sound...