Property Insurance Roundtable
Expecting the Unexpected: Surviving Disasters
Policyholders may not realize the benefits of hiring a public adjuster until they understand the complexities and time required to prove and file an insurance claim. Disaster claims are a difficult type of claim to handle for commercial business owners whose core business is not insurance. Understanding ambiguous policy terminology of individual insurance providers and applying them to a claim are both solid reasons to hire a public adjuster. Public adjusters work for your business to maximize your claim in the event of a disaster.
- [01:48] Is it possible to be 100% prepared for a natural disaster?
- [06:27] What is the difference in evaluating a policy on cost versus post-lost, for a policyholder?
- [09:57] What are some real world disasters that are not commonly thought about?
- [23:06] Is there a timeframe in which people are able to add disaster coverage to their policy?
- [25:10] What key items should a policyholder consider in the pre-loss, planning stages?
[33:32] Understanding the terminology used in today’s policies:
- Actual Cash Value – Replacement cost less physical depreciation
- Replacement Cost Coverage
- Selling Price Clauses
- [41:43] Where should a policyholder go when they feel they need additional clarification?
- [43:51] What is the policyholder responsible for, following a loss?
- [53:46] Do commercial policies cover the charges for professional fees or public adjusters?
- [01:03:34] Informative articles on this subject and others are available on the Adjusters International website
Ronald A. Cuccaro is the Founding President and he currently serves as Executive Chairman, President and CEO of Rising Phoenix Holdings Corporation and its subsidiaries including; Adjusters International and Tidal Basin.
More than 30 years ago, Cuccaro worked to bring together the best regional public adjusting firms to form Adjusters International, a corporation with the capacity to react to widespread natural disasters with the highest level of resources and professional expertise, and a core commitment to its clients for excellence and integrity.
Adjusters International has provided disaster recovery assistance resulting from the Mexico City, San Francisco, and Los Angeles earthquakes; the 1993, 1997 and 2008 floods in the Midwest; and every hurricane to have struck the U.S. and Caribbean since 1985. Cuccaro coordinated the team of Adjusters International professionals named to the Governor’s Task Force on Damage Assessment for Oklahoma City following the bombing of the Alfred P. Murrah Federal Building; coordinated Adjusters International’s role as consultants to the Government of Kuwait with respect to war reparation claims submitted to the United Nations; and led the Adjusters International consulting teams that assisted the Port Authority of New York/New Jersey following both the 1993 and the 2001 World Trade Center attacks.
In 2016 Cuccaro coordinated Adjusters International acquisition of Tidal Basin to offer diverse comprehensive Disaster Preparedness and Recovery services to clients, both pre and post disaster. The merger of the two companies was followed by the organization of their parent; Rising Phoenix Holdings Corporation.
Cuccaro actively manages the day-to-day operations of the Rising Phoenix Holdings Corporation and its subsidiaries corporations; leading it on its continued path of growth and expansion.
Ron is the author of the Adjusting Today article titled, “Expecting the Unexpected Part of the Unexpected: Surviving Disasters – Natural or Otherwise” and was featured as an expert panelist on Adjusters International’s Property Insurance Roundtable podcast in the