Farnum has 35 years of design, construction and project management experience and since 2001 has been working in a leadership role in disaster recoveries at both the grantee and applicant levels. His experience in both arenas is exceptional.
For more than 25 years, Mr. Farnum directly participated in the design, production and installation of architectural, structural, civil, mechanical and electrical systems and elements relating to public facilities development, including engineered products and structural steel.
His varied background brought him to a leadership role in the recovery process at the World Trade Center following the 9-11 terrorist attack, which tapped his ability to manage large, complex and highly detailed projects with expert understanding of scope, implementation, and quality control. As Regional Public Assistance Liaison to state authorities, city agencies and private non-profit organizations, Farnum has participated in all aspects of the federal disaster assistance process.
For over a decade, Farnum led recovery projects in areas of New York, New Jersey, Florida, Texas, California, Louisiana and Arkansas. He was project lead in the summer 2006 NYSEMO operations related to DR-NY-1650 flooding, a disaster that brought more than 120 personnel into the field. He specializes organizing, implementing and overseeing complex financial recoveries seeking funding from multiple sources.
Farnum has extensive experience working with applicants to obtain funding under the FEMA Public Assistance program following a federally declared disaster. He has served in various capacities including Project Manager, Deputy Project Manager, and Senior Manager.
- New York State: 4085-DR-NY, Disaster Case Management Program, 2015
- New York State: 4085-DR-NY, 404 Hazard Mitigation Grant Program, 2015
- New Jersey: 4086-DR-NJ, Coastal Project, State Insurance Pool Projects, 2015
- Port Authority of New York and New Jersey: 4085-DR-NY & 4086-DR-NJ, Hurricane Sandy, November 2012 - November 2014
- Jersey City Municipal Utilities Authority, 4086-DR-NJ, Hurricane Sandy, November 2012 - February 2014
- North Hudson Municipal Utilities Authority, 4086-DR-NJ, Hurricane Sandy, November 2012 - February 2014
- Seminole Tribe, Emergency Management Operations Diagnostic & Hurricane Isaac, September 2012
- Minot Park District, North Dakota, September - October 2011
- Louisiana Oil Spill Coordinators Office: Deepwater Horizon Claims, BP Oil Spill, March 2011 - September 2012
- Port of New Orleans, Louisiana, Hurricanes Katrina, Gustav and Ike, 2008
- City of Batesville, Arkansas, Severe Storms and Flooding, 2008
- Butte County, California, Wildfires, 2008
- Sabine Neches Navigation District, Beaumont, TX, Hurricane Ike, 2008
- City of Cedar Rapids, Iowa & Cedar Rapids Community School District, Floods, June 2008
- City of Marble Falls, City of Copperas Cove, and Coryell County, Texas, Summer Floods 2007
- New York State: 1710-DR-NY Severe Storms and Flooding, 2007
- New York State: 1692-DR-NY Severe Storms and Inland and Coastal Flooding, 2007
- New York State: 1670-DR-NY Severe Storms and Flooding, December 2006 - August 2007
- New York State: 1650-DR-NY Severe Storms and Flooding, July 2006 - August 2007
- New York State: 1391-DR 9-11 Terrorist Attack, New York State, 2001
- New York State: 3195-EM-NY, 1534-DR-NY Winter Storms, August–December 2004
- Lee County, City of Ft. Myers & City of Sanibel, Florida; Hurricanes Charley, Jeanne, Ivan, and Frances, August 2004 - July 2006
- Lee County, City of Ft. Myers & City of Sanibel, Florida, Hurricane Wilma, August 2004 - July 2006
- New York State: 3186-EM-NY Northeast Blackout, 2003
- Planning Board Member, Town of Duanesburg, NY, 1992 - 2004
Occupational Safety & Health Administration (OSHA) Training:
- Asbestos Awareness
- Lead Awareness
- Affected Person Lockout/Tagout
- Hazard Communication
- Confined Space Awareness Personal Protective Equipment
- IS-00253 Coordinating Environmental and Historic Preservation Compliance
- IS-00318 Mitigation Planning for Local and Tribal Communities
- IS-00393 Introduction to Hazard Mitigation
- IS-00547 Introduction to Continuity of Operations (COOP)
- IS-00631 Public Assistance Operations I
- IS-00632 Introduction to Debris Operations in FEMA's Public Assistance
- IS-00800 Introduction to the National Response Framework
- IS-00803 Emergency Support Function (ESF) #3 – Public Works and Engineering
- IS-00999 Public Assistance Operations II
- FEMA CEF Cost Estimating Format
This is a sampling of completed and relevant coursework and experience. In addition, Farnum has taken 5 other FEMA courses and has been OSHA certified.