Building Ordinance or Law Coverage
Ordinance or Law Coverage:
Code for Recovery!
After a severe property loss, the first shock comes in learning that rebuilding a damaged structure so that it conforms to the latest building codes can add substantially to the cost.
Then comes the unpleasant surprise of discovering that the "Ordinance or Law" exclusion in the property insurance policy will prevent a full recovery.
With building codes continually changing — requiring features like new or improved sprinkler systems, better wiring and handicap accessibility — this dilemma is not uncommon. That´s why, more than ever, it is important to understand the Ordinance or Law Exclusion — and the coverage that is available to cover the additional costs.
Key Points and Page Numbers
- Three Areas of Loss — 2
- When and How the Exclusion Applies — 3
- Historic Coverages — 4
- Building Ordinance Coverage — 4
- Ordinance or Law Coverage — 4
- How Much Coverage is Needed? — 5
- The Business Income Ordinance or Law Exclusion — 6
- Increased Period of Restoration — 7
- Height and Area Limitation Eliminated — 7